A local company called HouseMade, has been heating up the local food scene with their sauces, particularly the HouseMade Sriracha sauce. Ground zero of this inferno seems to be the Oregon district. Lovers of spicy food have delighted in the surge of sriracha around the Fifth Street area. The cause of the local warming of the taste buds is Dayton area Chef, Leanne House.
HERE’S THE SKINNY:
— Chef House developed her signature sauces throughout her culinary career, but only started bottling them last year. Since that time the bottles have exploded in popularity.
— The past 12 months have definitely been a whirlwind for her. In that time she has grown her business 1000 fold, joined the blogging team of Dayton Most Metro’s own Food Adventures Crew, and accepted the job of Executive Chef at Mudlick Tap House. She will be launching her new menu in the coming weeks. Did we mention that in the same time frame, her sriracha sauce won 1st place at a hot sauce competition in Louisiana, and her hot honey sauce won 1st place at Jungle Jim’s Weekend of Fire event?
— Whats her secret? It is twofold. First she uses Ohio grown peppers, and everyone knows Ohio produce rocks. Secondly, her workers take the time to peel the stems off of each and every pepper. Other sauces leave the stems on, but there are no bitter pepper stems in her sauce !
— Dayton homeless charity, HOMEFULL, is growing peppers this year for Housemade. They will team with Ohio farms Folsom and Pine Farm, in Columbus, who will start the seeds. Homefull will grow the plants to maturity, and expect to grow over 1000 pounds of peppers this year. The eventual goal would be to grow all the peppers needed for the year here in Dayton, creating more jobs at Homefull, thereby benefiting Dayton’s homeless population. Housemade is all about giving back to the community.
— Housemade Sauces and other products have crept their way through the nooks and crannies of the Oregon district, or as she has named it, the “Oregon Trail.”
Here are places in the Oregon District area that have Housemade Sriracha sauces and products in stock, or feature them in their food menu:
THE “OREGON TRAIL” INCLUDES:
1. THE OREGON EXPRESS – Their “SRIRACHA PIZZA” is one of our favorite pizzas of all time
2. SPICE PARADISE – Local spice grocer has sauces and rubs for sale
3. LILY’S BISTRO – They feature the local sriracha in their kitchen and are one of the only restaurants in Dayton to feature the sauce in their bar drink offerings
4. TOXIC BREW COMPANY – Porn or prawn beer & bloody beers featuring Lily’s bloody Mary mix and Housemade Sriracha
5. LUCKY’S TAP ROOM & EATERY – A recent addition to the “Oregon Trail,” having just bought some Sriracha to feature on their menu
6. THE TROLLEY STOP – Not originally in the trail, but they are another recent addition. Look for them to feature the sriracha in their menu and maybe bar drinks
7. ECLECTIC ESSENTIALS – Art, Jewelry, antiques, and now Housemade sauces and products !! One of our first vendors!
8. CLASH DAYTON – Art gallery, clothing store, and a great place to get Housemade Sriracha! One of our first vendors!
9. THE DUBLIN PUB – Now featuring Housemade sauces at their restaurant
10. WHEAT PENNY OVEN & BAR – Has recently featured the locally made sriracha on their pizzas
HouseMade has over 60 vendors throughout Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky.
— HOUSEMADE SRIRACHA: The flagship sauce. Sweeter, bolder and better than the srirachas you are used to. No bitter stems in this locally made sauce !
— HOUSEMADE HOT HONEY: This Thai Chili hot honey makes anything it is drizzled on taste amazing. Warning-highly addictive.
— HOUSEMADE SALTS & RUBS: One of a kind rubs for your meats including: Tomatillo-Serrano, Thai Chili and Smoked Sriracha flavors respectively. Spice up your life with these babies!
— HOUSEMADE JAMS: Limited availability. Our fave flavors include Vanilla-Pear and Pineapple-Mango ! Homemade and one-of-a-kind fresh tastes.
What is next for Chef LeeAnne House?
She will be featuring quite a few of her products at Mudlick Tap House.
1. Tomatillo serrano smoked salt in the fresh greek yogurt cheese ( I am making this)
2. Sriracha in the house made chorizo
3. Sriracha in the pimento cheese
4. Hot Honey will be appearing in Chef House’s cakes. Mudlick Tap House will have a daily offering of fresh cakes at the bar. It will be one of the first things you see when you walk in.
Chef House’s lifelong passion has been the culinary world. She was raised in area restaurants owned by her parents. In recent years, she has been lucky enough to share kitchens with some of Dayton’s best chefs. Benefit from her hard work, by getting some of the best sauces on the planet! Get on the bandwagon and join the thousands in Dayton that are eating up the Sriracha sauce and other HouseMade creations.
Check out more of CHEF HOUSE and the FOOD ADVENTURES CREW here on FACEBOOK !!
Feel free to browse the gallery below of Dayton’s own, Housemade Sauces !