Who says you always have to go out to eat for a Food Adventures . As the leaves turn and the air grows a slight chill, here is a recipe to warm your soul.
Today, we present you a taste of comfort food and a fall twist, an old favorite with a new spin.
One of your Food Adventures Crew, Jackie, has a Fall recipe that will awaken your taste buds.
It is called, Roasted Squash Macaroni and Cheese.
It is a family favorite, that even the kids will love ! ENJOY !!
ROASTED SQUASH MACARONI AND CHEESE
For the Squash:
- One small butternut squash, acorn squash, or sugar pumpkin!
- Two cloves of garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup yellow onion diced, divided
- Balsamic Vinegar- Try Spicy Olive’s Red Apple Balsamic (or Maple Balsamic)
- Spicy Olive Butter Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre heat oven to 375.
- Slice squash in half, lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds (you can roast them!) and place squash on baking sheet flesh side up.
- Using a paring knife, cut slashes into the squash.
- Place one clove of garlic and 1/8 cup onion into the hollowed out section of the squash.
- Drizzle on balsamic and olive oil. Then salt and pepper
- Bake for 45mins-1hour until flesh is soft and tops are caramelized.
- Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, scoop out flesh of squash from the skin and add the squash, garlic and onion to a food processor. Puree until smooth.
For the Mac & Cheese
- 1lb penne pasta
- 6-8oz sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6-8oz pepper cheese (ie. pepper jack or habanero), shredded
- 4tbs butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup squash puree
- ¼ tsp Cayanne (omit if you don’t want it too spicy, or add more for a bigger kick!)
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbs Spicy Olive Butter Olive Oil
- Cook and drain pasta according to directions.
- Return pasta to pot and turn heat onto low.
- Toss pasta with butter until melted and pasta is well coated.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, squash and cayanne.
- Add mixture and cheese to the pasta. Stir until well combined and cheese is melted. (approximately 3 minutes)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss breadcrumbs olive oil. Mix in bacon.
- Pour pasta into a buttered 9×13 dish.
- Top with breadcrumb and bacon mixture.
- Broil for 1-3mins until breadcrumbs are browned.
Please look for monthly recipes from the Food Adventure Crew, right here on Dayton Most Metro !