Guacamole – hard to get a good pic of that stuff
Happy St Patricks Day from the Food Adventures Crew to you… Today, Hungry Jax, The Big Ragu and Chef House are getting into the Irish spirit by exploring the colorful green foods of Dayton. From salads to side items, these menu offerings are luckier than a four leaf clover.
Now may we present with Faith and Begorrah,
THE TOP 20 GREEN FOODS OF DAYTON
1) HONEY FRIED CHICKEN SALAD at COBBLESTONE CAFE: Hungry Jax points to this as one of her favorites. Not only are the greens crisp and fresh, but the chicken is fried perfectly. The quaint atmosphere always adds to our Food Adventures at Cobblestone.
2) GRILLED KALE SALAD at LUCKY’S TAPROOM: Chef House says this is a “Must Eat.” One of her “go to” menu items in the Oregon District, it is fresh, delicious and local!
3) ASIAGO CRUSTED CHICKEN at ROOST MODERN ITALIAN: When Executive Chef Dana Downs is at the helm, you can expect some divine food. The pesto linguine and spinach make this dish….
4) SAAG PANEER at INDIA OVEN: Creamy, wonderfully prepared traditional Indian dish served with white, basmati rice. The fresh, cheesey mixture melts in your mouth. Want to branch out and try a delicious dish? Here is your chance.
5) MALA PORK from CHINA COTTAGE: Stir fried magic performed by Tiger Wang and his cooking staff. Green onions and thinly sliced pork tossed in a light brown sauce. This dish highlights that signature taste, from an iconic Dayton restaurant. The Big Ragu gives it 2 chopsticks up!
6) THE AVOCADO & GOAT CHEESE BLT from LUCKY’S TAPROOM & EATERY: Drew Trick is serving up the mainstay favorites on his menu, and this is one has a cult following. Chef House says “you gotta try this sandwich.” The local ingredients are amazing.
7) DRESSED GREENS SALAD at WHEAT PENNY OVEN & BAR: Known for their pizza, the delightful, delicious salads are the perfect accompaniment or a meal in themselves. Your choice of dressing drizzled… for rizzle.
8) PICKLE SOUP from BLIND BOB’S: One of the more unique Dayton creations on this list, and one of the most surprisingly delicious. A soup with a fan following like now other, get in here and try this one-of-a-kind soup.
9) BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS at OLLIE’S PLACE: A perfect appetizer to go with the unmatched beer selection at this eatery. Warning- people at your table will want you to share this, so get a couple of orders to pass around.
10) GREEN CHICKEN CURRY at SIAM PAD THAI: A flavorful dish in a flavorful restaurant. Get it spicy or mild. The sauce is derived from green chilies, coconut milk, eggplant, bamboo shoots, green beans and bell pepper.
11) FRIED GREEN TOMATOES at RUE DEMAINE: A simple southern side, perfected by a decorated chef. Try these delicately fried slices, that simply melt in your mouth.
12) GUACAMOLE from TAQUERIA MIXTECA: Authentic mix from the local authority in authentic Mexican cuisine. If you want guacamole like they make it in Mexico City, then you’ve found the right place.
13) GARLIC EDAMAME at KABUKI: Healthy bean sprouts that slide into your mouth. This appetizer can be perfectly described as “addicting.” Simple and so good, it is a perfect warm up for a sushi roll.
14) KEY LIME PIE at COCO’S BISTRO: A heartier version of the original, it is almost like a key lime cheesecake. Go green with this dessert, and make your day special. The elegant atmosphere adds to the dreamy experience.
15) SPINACH CON QUESO DIP from DOUBLEDAY’S GRILL & TAVERN: The type of appetizer where you fight over the last scoops of dip when the others at the table. Yeah, it is that damn good.
16) CHILE RELLENO from TACO LOCO: Ohh si, si, si! One of the Big Ragu’s favorite dishes and one of his favorite places. Not only is this food great and homemade, the prices are extremely reasonable.
17) BUTTERCREAM COOKIE SANDWICHES from THE CAKERY: So good you get a sugar high when you eat them. Typically decorated in green these cookies are probably the most sinful thing on this list.
18) ZUCCHINI TACO BOATS at FLAVOR’S EATERY: Carved out zucchini, filled with taco toppings, these “boats” are delicious and a healthy spin on tacos. Get some at the Centerville Flavors and they even make them for healthy “to go” meal plans.
19) SQUASH SPAGHETTI from FLAVOR’S EATERY: Thinly shredded squash, made to look like small noodles. Tasty, healthy and as filling as pasta. It is a good way to “fool” your tastebuds into thinking you are eating carbs, but it s all healthy squash.
20) FRIED PICKLES at THE DUBLIN PUB: What’s a St Patty’s list without an Irish place. Hand dipped crunchy, pickle slices, battered, deep fried and served with some ranch dip.
We are not food critics.. we just love to eat. Food is our passion, and so are the original events, photos and festivals.