LUNAFEST is a traveling film festival celebrating women filmmakers while also raising awareness for women’s issues and supporting nonprofits that benefit women in the US and Canada. This years festival will be on Sun, March 28th from 3-5:30pm at The Neon, 130 E. Fifth Street, Downtown Dayton. Ranging in style from Animation to Documentary, in origin from Brazil to Bulgaria,in subject from Beauty to Bicycling, tickets are just a $5 or $10 donation or $3 with a student ID. As a special edition to the fest, Dayton Native, Alicia Conway will screen her short, RITE, followed by a Q & A with the filmmaker. Rite portrays the day of a young girl’s coronation and entry to adulthood in a family with some grisly traditions.
For more information on the 10 shorts featured, click here.
Sponsors for this years local LUNAFEST include Dayton Women’s Rights Alliance, American Association of University Women and Planned Parenthood Southwest Ohio Region.
Established in 2000 by LUNA, the makers of the Whole Nutrition Bar for Women, LUNAFEST is completely funded by LUNA and run by a small, dedicated group of LUNA employees. 100 percent of all proceeds are donated to charity – 15 percent to the Breast Cancer Fund and the remaining 85 percent of proceeds go directly back to hosting community organizations.
Over the years, as LUNAFEST has grown from a single annual event to more than 140 festivals each season, LUNA’s commitment to this worthwhile program has grown as well. To date, LUNAFEST has raised over $470,000 for worthwhile women’s organizations, while raising hope and awareness for the stories of women everywhere.