Lights Camera Dance is a brand new idea – Gem City Ballet is opening up their ballet performances this season to photographers of all stripes or experience levels, and then hosting a juried show & sale at the end of the season. Earn money and support Gem City Ballet at the same time. You’re probably saying – “You can’t take photos during a performance; that’s just wrong!” But they’ll make it right. Live dance can be one of the most exciting and challenging subjects for a photographer – beautiful dancers moving in colorful costumes under intense lighting. This project will give photographers a chance to explore this subject area with an intimacy and freedom seldom available.
The schedule of events includes:
- Essentials of Dance Photography – an optional seminar taught by Andy Snow and held in the performance space, Sunday September 8, 2013, 2 pm. A bargain at $20.
- Performances to photograph – October 12, 2013 and/or February 8, 2014. Please register! Registration Deadline is September 13, 2013.
- Access to rehearsals in the weeks prior to performance to become familiar with the dances and plan your photos.
- Submit 3-5 framed prints of your choosing and/or up to 20 digital prints, submission deadline March 7, 2014.
- Display at the GCB studio and at area galleries and art venues in Spring of 2014, including the final GCB repertory show of the season, April 25-27, 2014.
- Online and live sales, March 15-April 30, 2014, will be split 60% to the photographer and 40% to Gem City Ballet, with copyright retained by the photographer.
Details and the registration link can be found at http://www.gemcityballet.org/