Downtown’s next free First Friday event will be held from 5 to 10 pm Friday, Dec. 6. During this special holiday edition of the event, visitors can shop for unique and one-of-kind items, view festive window displays that are part of the first Downtown Holiday Decorating Contest, enjoy live entertainment and take advantage of discounts and special deals.
Roaming performers — drummer Joseph Glenn, choir Girls Inc. and juggler Tony Steinbach — will entertain throughout downtown, while performers on stilts and dressed as candy canes and holiday trees will walk through the streets. A stage area also will be set up next door to the Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St. The schedule for those performances is:
6 to 7 p.m.: Viva La Strings
7 to 8 p.m.: Miami Valley Music Men
8 to 9 p.m.: String orchestra FPAC
Listed below are the 20 businesses participating in the inaugural Downtown Holiday Decorating Contest. The winning business will be selected the week of Dec. 2 and announced during First Friday.
510 Gallery Fine Art, 508 E. Fifth St.
All Pilates, 27 S. St. Clair St.
American Pi, 41 S. St. Clair St.
Beaute Box, 116 W. Fifth St.
Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.
Boston Stoker, 34 W. Second St.
Brim, 464 E. Fifth St.
Clash Consignment, 521 E. Fifth St.
Derailed: A Hair Salon, 506 1/2 E. Fifth St.
The Flying Pizza, 223 N. Main St.
Green Baby, 31 S. St. Clair St.
Lily’s Bistro, 329 E. Fifth St.
Price Stores, 52 S. Jefferson St.
Riff Raff on the Canal, 130 N. Patterson Blvd.
Sew Dayton, 261 Wayne Ave.
Sherwood Florist, 444 E. Third St.
Spice Paradise, 16 Brown St.
Valeria’s Beauty Center and Day Spa, 21 W. First St.
The Wine Gallery, 5 W. Monument Ave.
“The holidays are a special time downtown, and this event is designed to make our center city even more festive,” said Sandy Gudorf, Downtown Dayton Partnership president. “With so many locally owned businesses located in our downtown, it’s the perfect destination to find unique gifts, enjoy dinner or drinks at a local restaurant, and so much more.”
Dec. 6 First Friday Events
Art & Shopping
• CADC, 45 S. St. Clair St.: Hosting its annual Art Box gift gallery, featuring handmade and one-of-a-kind gift items. Call 313-9883.
• Clash Consignment, 521 E. Fifth St.: Have your photo taken with Santa and his elves. Call 241-9434.
• Color of Energy, 16 Brown St.: (Open until 8 p.m.) Exhibiting new art by Mike Elsass and live painting. Call 266-3491.
• Dayton Art Institute, 456 Belmonte Park North: (Open until 8 p.m.) Showing the exhibits Object of Devotion and A Buckeye Abroad: Frank Wilcox in Paris. Call for cost. 223-4278.
• Dayton Society of Painters and Sculptors, 48 High St.: (Open until 8 p.m.) Hosting a reception for DSPS New Member Invitational. Light refreshments will be served. Call 228-4532.
• Dayton Visual Arts Center 118 N. Jefferson St.: (Open until 8 p.m.) Exhbiting Close to the Edge: Vera Scekic and this year’s ARTtoBUY Holiday Gift Gallery. Both will be open through Dec. 21. Call 224-3822.
• Gallery 510 Fine Art, 508 E. Fifth St.: Bring in your receipt from any other Oregon District business and receive 20 percent off any Gallery 510 Fine Art pashmina/scarf. Free gift wrapping. Call 672-6717.
• American Pi, 41 S. St.Clair St.: Featuring work by artist ColorBash, a local family business that produces furniture and home accents made from salvaged wood. Also featuring its 12-Hour Annual Sale from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Dec. 6 (excludes artist/consignment items). Call 938-7890.
• Beaute Box, 116 W. Fifth St.: Free makeup lessons and holiday-themed refreshments. Call 903-3165.
• Brim, 464 E. Fifth St.: Featuring gift baskets that include items from local businesses and store gift registries and certificates. Also offering complimentary tea from Ghostlight Coffee and candy canes. Call 222-4287.
• Green Baby, 31 S. St. Clair: Hosting a toy exchange at 6:30 p.m. and accepting donations for Hannah’s Treasure Chest. For every $25 spent on gift cards, receive an additional $5 or for every $50, receive an additional $10. Call 469-8665.
• Found Treasures 4 You, 502 Wayne Ave.: Offering 20 percent off everything in the store. Call 580-8803.
• Omega Music, 318 E. Fifth St.: Bring in a receipt from any Oregon District business and receive 10 percent off your total purchase. Call 275-9949.
• ReCreate, 438 E. Fifth St.: Sale on select items, including new and used instruments, other music-related items, and original artwork. Call 321-3517.
• Sew Dayton, 261 Wayne Ave.: Featuring $1 scrap bags, button bags and vintage patterns, as well as half-off all vintage fabrics. Call 234-7398.
• The Yellow Cab, 700 E. Fourth St. Hosting the annual Handmade Holiday show featuring more than 30 vendors selling art, crafts and other original, handmade items. Mugshots Studios will be set for fun holiday pictures. Alcoholic beverages will be available to purchase.
• Sherwood Florist 444 E. Third St.: Offering 10 percent off all holiday pre-orders and all in-store items. Call 298-3655.
• Don Crawford Plaza in front of Fifth Third Field, 220 N. Patterson Blvd.: The monthly Courteous Mass Ride will meet at 5:30 p.m. This month will be a glow-ride. Dress up your bike with lights, wear glow bracelets or necklaces — anything to make you glow. All tours are free and welcome any skill level.
• Grass Roots Enrichment and Wellness Center, 400 E. Fifth St., Suite C: (Open until 8 p.m.) Featuring artist-of-the-month John Todd, along with activities for families and light refreshments. Call 723-6747
• Salon J Ladner, 37 S. St. Clair St.: Downtown’s newest salon will host the special event “Light Up The Night,” its first after-hours “glow in the dark” styling party focused on giving back to a Dayton charity. The event, held from 6 to 10 p.m., features $10 women’s styling and $5 men’s style or edge up. All proceeds go to AIDS Resource Center Ohio. In addition, Salon J Ladner will offer 20 percent off throughout the month of December to all new customers.
• The Neon, 130 E. Fifth St.: Call 222-SHOW (7469) for films and show times.
• RiverScape MetroPark, MetroParks Ice Rink, 111 E. Monument Ave: Skate under the stars by the Great Miami River at downtown’s outdoor rink. $7 includes admission and skate rental. The park’s concession will be open to purchase hot chocolate and other snacks. Call 278-2607.
• Wiley’s Comedy Niteclub, 101 Pine St.: Featuring comedian Thai Rivera. Show begins at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 per person. Call 224-5653.
Food and Drink
• Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: $2 tastings of select wines. Call 225-9463.
• Franco’s Ristorante Italiano, 824 E. Fifth St.: 10 percent off food. Call 222-0204.
• Lily’s Bistro, 329 E. Fifth St.: Offering complimentary holiday cookies to all customers. For every $50 spent on gift cards, receive $5 free. Call 723-7637.
• Lucky’s Taproom and Eatery, 520 E. Fifth St.: Dinner specials and tapping of a firkin of craft beer. Call 222-6800.
• Riff Raff Tavern on the Canal, 130 N. Patterson Blvd.: Drink specials offered throughout the night. Call 361-3131.
• Salar, 400 E. Fifth St.: DJ in the lounge, cigars on the back patio and drink specials starting at 10 p.m. Call 203-3999.
• Smokin’ Bar-B-Que, 200 E. Fifth St.: 10 percent off food. Call 586-9790.
• Thai 9, 11 Brown St.: 15 percent off food. Call 222-3227.
• Uno Chicago Grill, 126 N. Main St.: 10 percent off food. Call 910-8000.
•The Wine Gallery, 5 W. Monument Ave.: Offering wine and appetizer specials and a $10 chair massage from 6 to 9 p.m. Call 224-9463.
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Featuring happy hour from 4 to 8 p.m., $2.50 well drinks, 75 cents off bourbon and other drink specials and live music. Call 938-6405.
• De’Lish Café, 139 N. Main St.: Featuring happy hour from 5 to 10 p.m. and live music during a mix and mingle with downtown business professionals. Call 461-2233.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.: Featuring happy hour until 6 p.m., a performance by the Miami Valley Pipe and Drum group starting at 6 p.m., and live music starting at 9 p.m. Call 224-7822.
• Gilly’s, 132 S. Jefferson St.: Old Skool Groove Night from 8 p.m. to midnight. Call 228-8414.
• Jay’s Seafood, 225 E. Sixth St.: Live music by Puzzle of Light at 9 p.m. Call 222-2892.
• Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: Featuring half-price pizza from 4 to 8 p.m., Linda Prevo and Friends from 5-8 p.m., and the Eric Jerardi Band starting at 9:30 p.m. Call 223-9205.
First Friday is presented by the Downtown Dayton Partnership with support from the Oregon District Business Association and Rev. Cool’s “Around the Fringe” show that airs on Fridays from 8 p.m. to midnight on WYSO-FM 91.3. The Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website has a complete list of downtown’s arts and cultural amenities, as well as a dining guide, parking map and much more. Download the Find It Downtown mobile search tool for smartphones at http://mobile.downtowndayton.org.