BALANCE is a juried show of bicycle-based or themed 2D and 3D work—held in conjunction with Troy, Ohio’s 2017 Sculptures on the Square public art exhibit of Mexican artist Gilberto Aceves Navarro’s Las Bicicletas—and will be on display in the Mayflower Arts Center’s Lobby Gallery, May 1-June 24, 2017.
Participation in BALANCE is open to all artists over the age of 16. Artists making 2D and 3D art based loosely or directly on bicycles, bicycle history, and bicycle culture are encouraged to submit their work.
All submissions will be juried by the Mayflower Arts Center’s exhibition committee. Along with three jury awards, there will also be a People’s Choice Award based on popular votes cast by visitors during the exhibition. The exhibition will be on display during the 2017 Troy Strawberry Festival (June 3-6, 2017), one of Ohio’s premiere and highest attended festivals.
While BALANCE is being held in conjunction with the Sculptures on the Square public display, work submitted to Balance does not have to be related to Navarro’s work, style, context, or concept.
– All 2D and 3D media accepted (no audio or video files will be accepted). 3D works must be free-standing. 2D works must be framed or have finished edges and be delivered ready to install. Any work not properly prepared will not be included in the exhibit.
– The Mayflower Arts Center is a family-friendly arts center. Work depicting gratuitous nudity, profanity, or obscenities cannot be accepted. If you have a question about the acceptability of your art, please contact us before submitting.
– All entries will be submitted via the exhibition submission form on the Mayflower Arts Center’s website.
– Artists/designers may submit up to 5 works for a $40 non-refundable entry fee. Artwork submitted without payment will not be considered.
– For 3D work, submit images depicting the work as best you feel are needed. We prefer at least 2 images per work (full view and detail), but if you have 5 works you are submitting, then make sure the single image of each work shows the best angle and details of the work possible.
– For safety reasons, extremely large works may not be accepted. If you have any questions about the size of your work fitting in our gallery, please contact us before submitting.
– All artwork must be original and be accompanied by title, medium, dimensions, year of completion, and retail value.
– Entries will be judged from digital files. Images should be JPEG or PNG format, 72dpi, 800 pixels at their longest side, including your name in the digital file name.
– Artwork will be juried based on artistic vision, originality, technical execution, and adherence to the theme.
– Accepted artists/designers will be required to submit a high-resolution photograph of the accepted artwork for use with online and print media for marketing purposes. The artist’s name, website, and information about the work will be displayed alongside the work.
– All artwork must be for sale. The MAYFLOWER ARTS CENTER will take a 30% commission (plus 7% sales tax) from artwork sold during the exhibition.
– You will be notified of the jurors’ decisions by email and website posting on Saturday, April 15.
– Exhibiting artists will be required to deliver artwork to the Mayflower Arts Center by no later than April 24. Work shipped must include return postage. No packing peanuts please. Any artwork received after 5:00pm on April 24 may not be included in the exhibit.
– By submitting artwork to Balance you grant the Mayflower Arts Center and the Sculptures on the Square organizations the right to use and publish images of your artwork for promotional purposes. Artist retains all other rights to the artwork.
– If you have a question about the acceptability of your art, please contact us at MayflowerArtsCenter@gmail.
– Recognition will be awarded to the top three works as selected by the Mayflower Arts Center Exhibition Committee.
– Recognition will be awarded for a People’s Choice Award based on votes received by exhibition visitors.
LAS BICICLETAS BACKGROUND:
Las Bicicletas (http://lasbicicletas.org/) is an urban art exhibit created by Mexican artist Gilberto Aceves Navarro. It comprises 250 bicycle sculptures in black, white, red and orange; colors that were used by the Mayan culture to symbolize the four cardinal points. Over 30 sculptures will be on display throughout downtown Troy for the public to view. One of the sculptures will be on display in the Lobby Gallery of the Mayflower Arts Center.
The mission of Las Bicicletas is to promote through art, the use of bicycles as an alternative mode of transportation and to procure better living conditions for all people in friendlier cities. Las Bicicletas’ objective is that bicycles are universally recognized as vehicles of happiness and health.
THE MAYFLOWER ARTS CENTER
The Mayflower Arts Center provides a community-friendly environment to create art, and enlighten and inspire a deeper appreciation of art among artists and patrons. Located prominently on the vibrant downtown square of Troy, Ohio—in the historic 1928 Mayflower Theater building—the Mayflower Arts Center offers gallery and exhibit spaces, classes and workshops, indie/art films, fine art retail, art lectures, performances and concerts. The Lobby Gallery presents work from local, regional, and national artists throughout the year.
ENTRY DEADLINE: April 10 (11:59pm EST)
Entry Fee: $40.00 (non-refundable)
Mayflower Arts Center Lobby Gallery
9 West Main Street
Troy, Ohio, 45373
Artist Reception: May 6 (6:00-8:00pm)
IMPORTANT DATES (all times reflect EST)
April 10 (11:59pm): Submission Deadline
April 15: Jurying Announcement (entrants notified by email / website)
April 24 (5:00pm): Drop-off/Delivery Deadline
April 24 – 30: Curation/Installation
May 1 – June 24: Exhibition Dates*
May 6 (6:00-8:00pm): Artist Reception
May 1 – June 4: Public Voting*
June 4 (5:00pm): Voting Closes
June 9 (7:00pm): People’s Choice Award Announcement
June 24 – July 1: Art Pick-up/Delivery*
COMPLETE SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS and ENTRY FORM are available at http://