As Alicia Keys would say, some people want diamond rings and some just want everything, but if you’re like us, you just really want a good cup of coffee (and some chocolate).
Ghostlight Coffee is celebrating Valentine’s Day with a limited edition, cacao-focused drink menu and romantic desserts made by the talented Ghostlight bakers.
Ghostlight’s Valentine’s Day menu will feature five luscious hot cacao based drinks, each features dark organic cocoa powder & steamed milk, lightly sweetened in it’s own unique way. Guests can add a double shot of espresso for a chic new take on the traditional mocha.
Valentine’s Day Drink Menu
Cacao con Amore Dark Cocoa paired with cherry + vanilla simple syrup
Cacao del dios Maya Dark Cocoa, spiced up with cayenne, cinnamon & cloves, & sweetened with cafe de olla syrup
Cacao con Flores Dark Cocoa, lavender simple syrup & a dash of lavender sugar
Cacao con Miel Dark Cocoa sweetened with honey, cinnamon & ginger (add a dash of cayenne if you dare)
Cacao con Caramelo Dulce Dark Cocoa sweetened with homemade caramel syrup & topped with Malden Sea Salt
In addition to mochas and hot cocoa, the Ghostlight Bakery will feature chocolate covered strawberries and cupcakes for two or four (for the whole family!). Cupcake flavors include tiramisu, buckeye, chocolate and berries, and vanilla and berries, in addition to Valentine’s Day cards from local stationary company Little City Love and a wide selection of craft chocolate bars.
Four People You Can Cross Off Your Holiday Shopping List While Getting Coffee
Usually it’s coffee then Christmas shopping, but at Ghostlight Coffee guests can combine the two by shopping local art, home goods, and specialty coffee while waiting for their morning beverage. Whether you’re looking to put something special in those shoes for St. Nick’s on Thursday or get your stocking stuffers purchased early, here’s four people you can cross off your holiday shopping list:
1. The Coffee Lover: Ghostlight is a multi-roaster shop, offering a rotating selection of specialty coffee from across North America. Featured winter coffee’s include the Cabin Fever winter blend and sought-after Geisha Finca San Jeronimo Miramar from the Cincinnati-based roaster, Deeper Roots. Pair a bag of coffee with a new coffee makers and tea kettles like the classic Chemex Pour-over coffee-maker and Fellow Stagg pour-over kettle or a fun new mug. Ghostlight sells their own branded coffee mugs and reusable cups as well as these quirky mugs from Enamel Co. for Star Wars and Harry Potter fans, unicorn lovers, and more.
2. The Foodie: Know someone who’d prefer to eat their gifts than wear them? Ghostlight carries a variety of craft chocolate and candies–featuring brands like Raaka Chocolate, Dick Taylor Chocolate, Pump Street Chocolate, Ritual Chocolate, Mirzam Chocolate, One Fork Farm, Mayana Chocolate and more–as well as locally-crafted Hawthorn Homestead jams, stillhouse maple syrupfrom Indian Creek Distillery and Big Spoon Roasters craft nut butters. While you’ll be hard pressed to fit a Lumberjack or Eggnog Custard pie into a stocking, you can just as easily pre-order one to share with family while you open presents.
3. The Writer: Send those season’s greetings or get ready for the post-holiday thank you notes with these sweet, detailed greeting cards from Dayton-based company Little City Love and Dogwood Finch, Ghostlight’s featured artist for December. Megan Higgins, the artist behind Dogwood Finch, is an Ohio-born children’s illustrator who uses the Austrian outdoors as inspiration for her postcards and prints.
4. The Homeowner: You can never have too many candles, especially when they come in holiday scents like P.F. Candle Co’s Spruce, Spice Pumpkin and Black Fig available at Ghostlight individually in 7oz candles or the 3.5oz mini holiday gift set. Pair them with an end grain cutting board made with locally harvested wood by Dayton craftsman Burgess Gow (BNG).
Ghostlight also offers their Ghostlight Blue Card that can be used on any purchase in the store. Cards can be purchased initially for $25, $50 or $100 and then refilled for any amount. All gifts and retail items at Ghostlight are subject to availability. To check on availability or learn more about any of our vendors, please email email@example.com
Each year the baking elves at Ghostlight Coffee, South Park’s beloved coffee shop that just celebrated their 7th anniversary, have been making pecan, sweet potato, pumpkin, and apple vegan pies, as well as cookies and rolls you can order to grace your Thanksgiving table. Their Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie has been my favorite and something you could proudly show up with for family dinner, knowing you were going to get raves on dessert.
Then they came up with The Ghostlight Thanksgiving pie, a Pumpkin & Maple Pie with a Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Top and a Graham Cracker Crumble tucked beneath, and that was good.
But this year they have outdone themselves with what is now my favorite pie ever!
The Lumberjack pie is a combination of salty & sweet: a crispy, cinnamon-y cookie inspired crust is filled with ooey-gooey, buttery, custard-y, maple-y goodness. I had a piece of this pie last night and could not wait to get up and have another piece for breakfast. Order two of these – one to leave at home (you can even stick it in your freezer to enjoy later) and one to take to your Thanksgiving dinner – you’ll thank me later for this. This pie runs $18 and will easily serve 12 people- it’s incredible rich, so you can make your slices very small and you’ll still be very satisfied.
While you are ordering pick up some Spiced Apple Ciderdoodles! At a recent taste test Brent Johnson from Square One Salon had this to say, “Oh yeah, these are incredible.” Their magic baker have figured out how to put Spiced Apple Cider in cookie form! Featuring freshly pressed Apple Cider from Pfeifer’s Apple Orchard in Yellow Springs. These cookies are Dairy-free, Egg-free, Nut-free & Vegan, a great treat for many dietary restrictions.
In order to get all this yummy goodness on your table you need to order by Sat, Nov 17th and your sweet treats will be ready for pick up on Tuesday 11/20 or Wednesday 11/21 (your choice) between the hours of 12:00pm – 5:00pm. Here’s the link to order online. If you have any questions or concerns about Pre-Ordered baked goods from Ghostlight Coffee, please contact the bakery by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not going to be in town for Thanksgiving Head baker Mandy has also shared they will be doing another pie sale in time for the Christmas holiday.
A gathering place near downtown Dayton, serving the best coffee, espresso, tea & baked goods in town. Ghostlight Coffee will surely become your favorite place to hang out, meet friends, listen to music & drink great coffee!
Ghostlight Coffee is partnering with GoZERO Services, GreenSpeed Products, and, hopefully, its customers, for a no-waste coffee shop experience. The coffeehouse is introducing a new composting system, all compostable single-use carry out items, and an affordable line of reusable mugs, tumblers and stainless steel straws.
New composting procedures made possible through GoZero’s commercial food waste services will encourage guests to discard waste into proper containers for collection. Shop employees and signage will educate and remind guests of the color coding system (blue for recycling, green for composting, and black for landfill trash). All hot and cold beverage cups, plates, and utensils will be from GreenSpeed Products, making them fully compostable — green bin, please!
With active participation, they estimate the effort can save 80,000-100,000 plastic utensils, cups, lids and straws, from being sent to local landfills this year. Ghostlight’s owner Shane Anderson has been working with Geoff Fansher of GreenSpeed Products for over a year to finalize the transition.
“Recycling restrictions didn’t leave us with too many effective options until we learned of GoZERO Services,” said Anderson. “Their compost collection, along with new compostable packaging products and commitment of our baristas & customers should make a considerable leap towards sustainability.”
In addition to it’s composting efforts, Ghostlight is encouraging frequent guests to purchase reusable items such as cold drink tumblers, travel mugs, and metal straws. The stainless steel straws, released earlier this summer, have been a promising early sign. Ghostlight has had to restock three times in the past month.
The coffee shop is working towards a goal of 90% of all service items being either compostable or recyclable by the end of the year.
“The key to this effort will be our staff and customers making the commitment to disposing items properly.” said Anderson. “One easy decision can make a huge impact. It’s up to you!”
Mon – Thu: 7a-5:30p
Fri & Sat: 7a-7p
COFFEE 12oz / 16oz
- Morning Rush Machine Drip Coffee (Ghostlight Blend & South Park Blend, available until Noon) – $2 / $2.50
- Cold Brew (Available Seasonally) – $3.40 (16oz)
- Double Shot – $2.25
- Macchiato – $2.75
- Cappuccino – $3
- Gibraltar – $3
- Latte – $3.25 / $3.75
- Iced Latte – $3.75
- Flavored Latte – $4 / $4.50
- Iced Flavored Latte – $4.50
- Cafe Con Miel (Local Honey Lattes) – $4.25 / $4.75
- Mocha – $4 / $4.50
- Iced Mocha – $4.75
- Chai Latte – $3.25 / $3.75
- Iced Chai – $4.25
- Hot Chocolate – $3 / $3.50
Some of the terrific items frequently offered at Ghostlight Coffee:
- Vegan Muffins & Vegan Treats by scratch from the Ghostlight Coffee Bakers
- Weekday Scones by scratch from the Ghostlight Coffee Bakers
- Cookies & Biscotti by scratch from the Ghostlight Coffee Bakers
- Special Occasion Pies by scratch from the Ghostlight Coffee Bakers
- Customizable Oatmeal Cups by scratch from the Ghostlight Coffee Bakers (make it your own flavor using a Jo Snow Syrup or Jams & Jellies from Hawthorn Homestead)
- French Macarons by Bonjour Macarons
- Awesome decorated theme cookies by Gem City Sweets
- Gluten Free Muffins & Treats by Tina’s Sweet Treats
- Bean-to-Bar Chocolates by Maverick Chocolate, Askinosie Chocolate & Dick Taylor Chocolate
- Taos Mountain Energy Bars & The Gluten Free Bars (gluten free, vegan bars)
- Kind, Larabars, Clif, & other various snack bars
VRUNCH /‘vrench/ n. Vegan Brunch.
It’s totally a thing. Starting this weekend Ghostlight Coffee is serving vegan breakfast sandwiches on Saturdays! Made with an Impossible chorizo (Impossible Foods burger and HouseMadechorizo spice), polenta, and Daiya cheese on an English muffin.
Ghostlight Coffee is known for their vegan baked goods and now they are extending their animal-free alternatives to breakfast. Ghostlight’s vegan breakfast sandwiches are made with Impossible Chorizo (an Impossible Foods vegan burger blended with Ohio-made HouseMade chorizo spice), a polenta “egg”, and Daiya cheddar cheese on an English muffin.
Sandwiches will be available for purchase while supplies last on Saturday morning, in addition to those made for pre-orders being delivered at 8 am and 9:30 am. Ghostlight will offer sliding discounts for pre-orders each week, starting with 15% off this week using the code VEGANDAYTON. The discount will drop to 10% the week of May 28 – June 2.
Pre-orders will be accepted until 5pm on Friday, May 25 for pickup at 8 am or 9:30 am on Saturday, May 26. You can put in your Pre-Order at this link.
It may be the most popular dessert at Thanksgiving dinners, but pumpkin pie didn’t make an appearance at the First Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims probably lacked the butter and flour needed to make a pie crust, and it’s not clear that they even had an oven in which they could have baked a pumpkin pie.
Speaking of baking- if you’re responsible for bringing the pie to your holiday dinner, here’s a quick round-up of places to pick up those sweet treats if you don’t have the time or talent to make them yourself:
Ashley’s Pastry Shop
21 Park Ave, Oakwood
Apple, Cherry, Pumpkin, Pecan, Lemon Meringue or Mince Meat
While you’re there pick up specialty breads, rolls, decorated cookies, pumpkin rolls and more!
1201 Wayne Ave, South Park
You are encouraged to use the above link to order online.
Deadline to order is Sat, Nov 18th at noon. Pick up is Tues or Wed afternoon
Choose from Ghostlight Thanksgiving Pie. Mama Smiths Fantastic Apple Pie, Pumpkin & Maple, Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie. You can also order gluten-free dinner rolls and sweets like snickerdoodles and more.
All pies are completely homemade just like grandma made. We will be making:
Pumpkin pie, Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Blackberry Pie, Key lime Pie,
Coconut Cream Pie, Chocolate Cream pie, Pecan Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie,
Butterscotch Pie and Peanut Butter Pie. All pies start at $13 each
3013 Linden Ave, Dayton
Offering about 30 kinds of pie and a seasonal pumpkin roll order a couple of days ahead for special requests or stop by to pick up traditional Thanksgiving flavors like apple, pecan and pumpkin for under $10.
1050 Miamisburg Centerville Road
Dayton, Ohio, 45458
You can order online at the link above from a selection that includes apple pie, bittersweet chocolate Pecan Pie, pumpkin s’more crunch pie, gluten free pies that include apple, pumpkin, pecan (pictured) and cherry. Pies range from $10-$16
Bakery Thanksgiving Pie Menu
Deadline-Saturday, Nov 18th
Pick up is Wednesday, November 22nd 10:00-7:00
All pies are 9”
Pumpkin-$16.00, Pecan-$16.00*, Cherry Crumble-$16.00*
Apple Crumble-$16.00*, Cranberry Apple-$18.00*
Caramel Apple-$20.00, Bourbon Sweet Potato w/Pecan Topping-$20.00
Frozen Unbaked Pie Shell-$5.00*
Dinner Rolls (1/2 dozen)-$4.50*
*-Dairy Free option available
To place order: comment on this post, send us a private facebook message, or email us at email@example.com
Here’s another tip:
And if you’re really running tight on time- DoorDash can pick up your pies around town. Use the blue link for them and get $7 off your first delivery.
Hard to believe it’s been 5 years since the Fire House at 936 Brown St, which was built 124 years ago when the fire engines were run by horse drawn carriages, was revamped into Jimmie’s Ladder 11. Dayton Fire Department memorabilia lines the walls of this beautiful dining area. Antique wood floors and walls throughout the building develops a warm, nostalgic feel. Time flies and Jimmie’s is inviting us all to celebrate with them all week long.
Anniversary Party Schedule
- Monday 11/7: Josiah Whitley Residency with Megan Bee at 10 PM
- Tuesday 11/8: Election Day, get out & VoteOpen Mic Jam hosted by Mikey Dread & Nick Brandell
- Wednesday 11/9: Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon Night
- Thursday 11/10: Great Lakes Christmas Ale Release Party
- Friday 11/11: Anniversary Raffle from 11 AM to Midnight with all proceeds going to the local VA. Cheesecake & the French will perform at 10 PM for $5
- Saturday 11/12: Anniversary Raffle from 11 AM to Midnight with all proceeds going to the local VA. Great Northern String Band will perform at 10 PM for $5
And Jimmie’s isn’t the only area business that debuted five years ago in November. Shane Anderson opened Ghostlight Coffee on Wayne Ave in South Park. This cozy gourmet coffee shop quickly became a pillar of the community, hosting art shows, poetry readings and so much more. They’ve added housebaked treats, bagels, holiday pies and supported many area events providing coffee to go. This coming Sunday they’ll colloborate with Jimmie’s for a very special celebration dinner.
Sunday 11/13 at 6pm Jimmie’s Ladder 11 & Ghostlight Coffee will collaborate together on a five-course dinner. The after party and fifth course will be at Jimmie’s Greenhouse. Tickets are limited with a cost of $40 and are available at Jimmie’s Ladder 11 or Ghostlight Coffee.
Espresso Black Bean Chili & Cornbread Muffin paired with Fifth Street Brewpub’s JoJo’s Midnight Stout.
Mixed Greens tossed in Walnut Maple Vinaigrette topped with Applewood Smoked Bacon, Red Onion, Candied Espresso Walnuts & Asiago Cheese paired with Fernet Cold Brew Cocktail.
Grilled Cheesy Grits topped with Bourbon Coffee Glazed Shrimp paired with Toxic Brew’s Night Ender Stout.
Coffee Braised Short Ribs served with Roasted Root Vegetables, Whipped Potatoes & Red Eye Gravy paired with Warped Wing’s Esther’s Little Secret.
Gamma Bomb Brownies topped with Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Brittle or Ghostlight Celebration Torte paired with hand poured Ghostlight’s “Poet & Pilots Blend” coffee and Warped Wing’s Gamma Bomb IPA infused with Ghostlight Coffee.