Dayton has always had the reputation for being a globally recognized hub for innovation! The Gem City Sewing Company has a goal to provide high-quality design, cut and sew training to build on local industry momentum connecting the existing collaborative community to workforce development, technology and manufacturing.
The GCSC will offer workforce development for train to sew programs in under-served communities to pair skilled sewist with sewn goods employers including the Dayton Threads and the Dayton Garment & Textile District Resource Directory, as well as manufacturing small sewing projects for paid work, earning $12-17.50 an hour.
Their Workforce Development program will work with area manufacturers and community organizations to develop our Industrial Sewing Training programs that prepare individuals for employment in the sewing industry.
They are here to make a difference and they will do this in several ways:
- Teach job skills for sewing type occupations for employment or entrepreneurship, focusing on our local core
- Foster social capital across cultural relationships in ways to lift everyone up
- Develop & sustain community interest & involvement in social justice through our activities
- Provide learning opportunities that will create a legacy for new generations to the creative life
- Collaborate & cooperate with other non-profits with similar objectives
Training will consist of the following areas:
- Module 1 Basic Skills
- Module 2 Garment Introductions
- Module 3 Commercial Track
- Module 4 Quilting
Training Programs will consist of 3-6 months of instruction with required homework. Mandatory testing will take place after each completed module. For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gem City Sewing Company is a subsidiary of The Dayton Emerging Fashion Incubator (DE-FI) LLC, a volunteer community Think Tank providing access for emerging designers, aspiring models, sewist, and textile makers into the fashion industry.